Are you considering a job change, but you keep putting it off for one reason or another? Most often it’s our lack of clear ideas for a job or career change that keeps us trapped in our current situation.
What we’re really lacking is the ability to think differently about what’s possible for us.
If you feel stuck, trapped, or unable to think of anything at all that might serve you in finding a new job or career, here are some tips to help you think differently about potential and practicality that could stir up a whole host of new ideas for you.
- What is it that you DON’T want to do? Oftentimes, identifying what we don’t want can shine a light on what we do want, simply by considering the opposite.
- For example, if you absolutely hate the commute, working closer to home or even at home might be preferable.
- Do you hate conforming to rules and regulations? Maybe something that would allow you to work under your own initiative with your own ideas would be ideal. Like writing, for example.
- Are you putting yourself under pressure to conform to someone else’s perceived impression of you? For example, do you have thoughts like these:
- I should have a professional position.
- I must have at least this much as a salary because of my background.
- I should have a title that other people will respect and admire me for.
- Deep in your heart, maybe you really want to build dry stone walls with your bare hands, on your own, out on the ranch.
- Check your feelings to see whose rules you are actually following. You will never be happy unless you follow your own idea of what makes your heart sing. Are you really prepared to let others dictate how you should spend your life and make a living?
- What if anything was possible? What would you do with your time? Try thinking without restraint or limitation. What would you do if absolutely anything were possible?
- Would you travel?
- Would you build?
- Would you create?
- Would you buy and sell?
- Where would you go?
- Who would you go with?
- How much time would you spend there?
- How much money would you make?
- What would you be like if you reinvented yourself completely? If you could turn the clock back and unload all the junk that you’ve collected in your mind and heart so far in your life? If you could eliminate all the mistakes, errors of judgment, and wasted time of the past?
- Where would you be and what would you be doing?
- Who would you be doing it with?
- Where would you be doing it and why?
- What if you seized some of the opportunities you’ve turned down and refused some of the opportunities you’ve taken? What would your life be like now? Where would you be? Who would you be with? What would you be doing? How does that feel?
- What would this brand new you look like? What kind of work would you be engaged in? How much money might you be making? How much joy would you have in your life? Where would you live? Why there? Is this new you inspiring?
- What if your new career wasn’t grandiose, world class, or life changing for anyone else? Would that matter? What if it was modest, relatively inconspicuous, but incredibly important to your heart and soul?
- Just because some ideas are bigger, it doesn’t automatically make them better. What you are searching for here is a perfect fit for you, not for someone else.
What if you could identify what you really want today? Would you get started? Begin exploring? Begin making that transition from where you are right now to where you really want to be?